Readings for Class 9 (April 3)
Ice volcanism and emplacement of bright terrain (IA, LP, CW, GC).
- McKinnon, W.B., and E.M. Parmentier, Ganymede and Callisto, chapter 15 in
Satellites, 1986. [2nd half, pp. 747-763.] (GC)
- Parmentier, E.M., S.W. Squyres, J.W. Head, and M.L. Allison, The tectonics
of Ganymede, Nature, 295, 290-293, 1982. (GC)
- Styles of volcanism and volcanic processes:
- Allison, M.L., and S.M. Clifford, Ice-covered water volcanism on Ganymede,
J. Geophys. Res., 92, 7865-7876, 1987. (LP)
- Schenk, P.M., and J.M. Moore, Volcanic constructs on Ganymede and
Enceladus: Topographic evidence from stereo images and photoclinometry, J.
Geophys. Res., 100, 19009-19022, 1995. (LP)
- Stevenson, D., Volcanism and igneous processes in small icy satellites,
Nature, 298, 142-144, 1982. (IA)
- Stevenson, D.J., and J.I. Lunine, Mobilization of cryogenic ice in outer
solar system satellites, Nature, 323, 46-48, 1986. (IA)
- Murchie, S., and J. Head, The evolution of volcanism on Ganymede: Possible
importance of a low melting-point volatile, Lunar Planet. Sci., 19, 819-820,
- Wilson, L., and J. Head, Aspects of water eruption on icy satellites, Lunar
Planet. Sci, 15, 924-925, 1984. (CW)
- Kargel, J. and S. Croft, Rheological extremes of cryogenic liquids on icy
satellites, Lunar Planet. Sci., 20, 500-501, 1989. (CW)
- Further Reading:
- Kargel, J., and R. Strom, Cryovolcanism on Triton, Lunar Planet. Sci., 21,
- Kargel, J., Brine volcanism and the interior structures of icy satellites,
Icarus, 94, 368-390, 1991.
- Croft, S., J. Lunine, and J. Kargel, Equation of state of ammonia-water
liquid: Derivation and planetological applications, Icarus, 73, 279-293, 1988.
- Boone, S. and M. Nicol, Ammonia-water mixtures at high pressures: Melting
curves of ammonia dihydrate and ammonia monohydrate and a revised high-pressure
phase diagram for the water-rich region, Proc. Lunar Planet. Sci. Conf., 21,
- Hogenbloom, D., J, Winebrake, G. Consolmagno, and W. Dalrymple, Preliminary
densities and phase diagram of the water/NH3 system at P-T conditions relevant
to the icy moons of the outer planets, Lunar Planet. Sci., 20, 420-421, 1989.
- Johnson, M., and M. Nicol, The ammonia-water phase diagram and its
implications for icy satellites, J. Geophys. Res., 92, 6339-6349, 1987.