324 Brook Street, Box 1846, Providence, Rhode Island 02912 / 401-863-2526 / Geological_Sciences@brown.edu

Graduate Program in Planetary Geosciences

Applications are welcomed from students with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the fields of biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, mathematics, and physics. Applicants are encouraged to correspond directly with faculty whose work is of special interest.  Completed admissions and financial aid applications are due in the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School January 1.  Applicants should clearly express their area(s) of academic and research interest to allow most advantageous evaluation for admission.  Submission of GRE test scores is required and tests should be taken as early as possible, preferably in the fall.  Applicants will be notified of the results of their application before the end of March.

For application materials, contact the Graduate School.   Visit the Geological Sciences Graduate Program and Research site for department-specific information.

All applicants for financial aid except foreign students are required to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application, obtained from the Graduate School by checking the appropriate financial aid box(es) on the admissions application.

Admission to doctoral study is normally accompanied by the award of an Assistantship or a Fellowship. Research and Teaching Assistantships (or combination) have a work commitment and typically cover full tuition, health fees, and a 12-month stipend. University Fellowships and other support sponsored by foundations and industry are also available for particularly deserving students or students whose work will be concentrated in certain areas of research. Ph.D. candidates are supported up to five years, as long as they remain in good academic standing at the University.

Student thesis topics are funded through grants and contracts to faculty members or through the department. Funds are available for a limited number of new graduate students to start summer research projects before they begin formal courses at Brown.

Information for foreign students regarding visas, financial policies, etc. is available from the Graduate School. Foreign students whose native language is not English cannot be admitted until results of the TOEFL examination have been received by the Graduate School. Oral competency must be certified by a University exam before the student may teach.


Last updated July 2008